Finally a place in Batangas City with vaiety music on weekends - Hecky's Bar and Grill in Alangilan.

Just last Saturday, I went out for a couple of bottles of beer and some good music and good conversation with a few friends. I was pleasantly surprised by one of the newest "gimik" places in the city.

The musician for the night was a blind guy named Andrew. Apparently he is quite known among regular bar-goers and musicians in Batangas City. Armed with his guitar and a midi sampler, he did a few sets for "variety nights" all by himself. Superb stuff.

Amidst the regular (and somehow monotonous) RnB nights you usually find around town, variets nights at Hecky's is a welcome alternative. Sure he did a few RnB songs but he also ventured into different genres. He didn't stick with the common "party music."

I was really sold when he did Wolfgang's Halik Ni Hudas. That's when I thought to myself - now this is really variety. It's one of the songs I never imagined I would hear played in a local bar. And might I say, he did it pretty well.

But the place is not without its shortcomings. Even if it has a 2nd level, the area gets packed quite easily. Tables can be set outside to accommodate more guests if necessary. But then you don't get the live music. I also did not enjoy our choice of pulutan for the night - Chicken Sisig. I think it's one of their weaker dishes because I heard their Tuna Belly was really good.

Even so, Hecky's still has a few more things to offer. For people living near the area, it's very convenient to have a go-to place for just a couple of bottles on a weekend evening or to celebrate someone's birthday and drink the night away. There's no need to go all the way downtown just to have fun.

If you frequent Batangas City's party places, Hecky's is a sure place to try - you might be pleasantly surprised. On the flipside, if you are sick of the same party scene and party music and have given up on finding a good place to hangout, give Hecky's a try.

0 comments:

Post a Comment